This is the response you get when you ask Juliet what she broke. Yes, it is true, and I have to say that I felt like a horrible parent when Clayton brought home the X-ray from the doctors about a month ago.
A few months back we decided to move Juliet out of her crib and into the daybed. For the first few days I could not sleep and kept checking on her throughout the night (I was up feeding the baby anyway) for fear of her rolling out of bed. We even put blankets and pillows on the floor next to the bed in case if she fell out onto what Clayton likes to call our "fuzzy concrete carpet" (gotta love the industrial carpet in student housing...). Well, as time went on nothing happened so I stopped worrying.
Then one night it happened. We were sitting in the living room watching Harry Potter 7.2 when we heard a thud followed by crying. We rushed in there and poor little Juliet was on the floor half asleep and crying. And we discovered she had landed in the 8 inches of bare floor surrounded by all the blankets and padding that she must have uncovered while playing in her room.
We picked her up and comforted her. She kept saying that her head hurt so we got a pack of frozen peas and put it on there and comforted her back to sleep. As soon as she would calm down and start falling back to sleep she would roll onto her left side and start bawling all over again. Eventually she fell back to sleep, but the whole night I was worried about her poor little head.
It never hit me that it could have been more than a head bump until the next morning when I was helping her get dressed and she cried when she tried to lift her arm and put on her shirt. Even then I thought it was probably just a crack on the bone and nothing more. Especially since she was a good sport and still playing. Then I started to notice that she favored her left arm and would not raise or move it much...and then I noticed her left shoulder was a little droopy...
So we finally took her in and this is what they found:
It broke my heart when I saw it, but then I would look at happy, smiling Juliet and see that she was just fine.
The doctor sent her home with a figure 8 brace, and by that evening she was running around the house like nothing happened. And the next day she was trying to do somersaults in the living room! It didn't phase her one bit after she got the brace. If anything, we are the ones that have to protect her little clavicle so it can heal.
Monday, May 7, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment